Guest Blogger: Anna

I have been friends with Macy for the past three years at Mississippi State. We share many common interests, among those our mutual love for French and for travel. I had the opportunity to study abroad last fall in Frnace, so I can understand some of her excitement, frustrations and uncertainities as she prepares to go abroad in the upcoming semester. When Macy asked me to write a post for her about my experience, a flood of memories overwhelmed me. I don't feel like there is any way I can portray all the incredible sights experienced. However, I can give you a glimpse into one moment of my travels in the hopes that it will offer some insight and advice about what our dear Macy may have coming for her.


It was a weekend in November and because of a French national holiday, my classmates and I had four days off from school. Embracing the opportunity for a little extended travel, I had plans with three other girls to make a trip to visit Rome and Venice. However, due to miscommunications about purchasing airline and railway tickets, I ended up with a ticket from Paris to Rome the night before the other girls would be there. Without any solo travel experience (especially in a foreign country), I was quite nervous to make the trip alone. I had never stayed in a hostel before, didn't know a lick of Italian (unless you count phrases I may have picked up from The Lizzie McGuire Movie or something), and was still unsure of all the details of the transportation system. As I rolled my suitcase down the cobblestone street toward the nearest Metro stop, I felt lonely and wished there was someone to share the experience with me-- or at least be there to make sure I was okay. However, once I had gotten to my bus for the airport, I began to relax and to appreciate the scenery and adventure that awaited me.

Once I arrived in Rome, however, things were much more uncertain. It was already midnight at this point and all I knew was that I had to find a bus to get to the city center, from which point I could walk to my hostel. I walked out the doors of the airport to find that it was not only dark, but pouring down rain. Luckily, however, I spotted the bus I needed. After I handed the driver a couple Euros for the ride, I felt as if I were in a movie as I snagged the last seat right before the bus pulled away. Appropriately, this last seat was the one right in the middle at the very back of the bus. As I pushed my way through the crowded aisle, I felt intimidated scrunched beside all the hard-core backpackers (the one beside me being a muscle man sporting a Mohawk, an earring and a think leather wristband).
As I sat there I began to think that that moment was what true adventure is. It's not knowing exactly what you need to do (but doing it anyway), sacrificing some of your everyday comforts, and learning to go with the flow. It's forgiving yourself when you make a faux pas in a culture you don't understand. It's embracing independence, meeting new people, and appreciating whatever you're doing just because you've never done it before.


In the back of the bus, I put my headphones in and tried to play it cool (you know, so people would assume I knew what I was doing and not mess with me). All the while, I was a little girl on the inside thinking, "OMG, I'm in Rome!" Well, I guess my I-know-what-I'm-doing demeanor must have worked because at the end of the bus ride, muscle man tapped me on the shoulder and politely asked me for directions. And guess what? I could actually give them to him!

So, Macy, cheers to you as you prepare to study abroad this fall. I can imagine that you are feeling a little bit like I was when I made this trip-- excited, nervous, somewhat lonely and overwhelmed. Just remember that you know more than you think you do and that the rest you can learn as you go. Embrace every lesson and beautiful moment along the way.

I know great adventure awaits you.
 
#annaprobs
 
If you have a great story and adventure and you are interested in being a guest blogger,
don't hesitate to e-mail me!

Comments

Popular Posts