A Book at the Bottom of My To-Read List: One Thousand Gifts

One Thousand Gifts
by: Ann Voskamp
 
A woman from my local church recommened this book to me last fall. I am just now getting around to reading it (only about 5 months later).
I have almost always struggled with anxiety, belonging, worry, a "lost" feeling. This author Ann Voskamp, has been through some major losses in her life. The way she writes it seems like she is sitting right next to me, just having a conversation with me.
Throughout the book there are two themes: the word eurchisteo and (obviously) naming all the things she loves in this world. 'Eurchisteo' means to give thanks, so like we must pray without ceasing, we must also give thanks without ceasing.
While I was reading this book, I started to slowly look in my day for things that I'm grateful for... like
 
The smell of coffee first thing in the morning
The way water feels on your lips.
The smile of the receptionist at work.
The sound of the banjo in the RUF band.
Warm towels.
 
The list can just go on and on.
If you struggle with anxiety, depression or finding joy in daily life I would HIGHLY recommend this book!
 
Book 3 of 10
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts