Flatbread a la Starkville

As I have mentioned before, I love-- no ADORE the Starkville Community Market. You will definitely find me there every Saturday morning. I just love to talk to the vendors and see how close they are to me-- some are as far away as 30 minutes then some bake goods right in their home! It's so wonderful to know and nom on fresh goodies! The market in Starkville is not as large as the one in my hometown of Marietta. In Marietta they sometimes have dairy products and meats. I would die if I could buy some fresh cheese or butter in Starkville! I think a lot of people believe that farmer's markets are more expensive than grocery stores. I would check the prices before you head out to the market and you may be surprised to find that they are the same or cheaper. For example tomatoes at my local Kroger are $1.99/lb but the man I always buy tomatoes from at the market sells his for $1.50/lb. Then a half pint of blueberries at Kroger are $2.50, but there's a woman that calls herself the "Blueberry Patch" that sells hers for $1.50! It may not seem like much of a difference but I think you can tell the produce is fresher and can usually break up any already bundled up bag of tomatoes or peaches. These farmers are from Mississippi, but they're not stupid. Farmers today have to be business men and know how to make a profit. I love to support hard working AMERICANS, treat myself to some homemade jam and possibly save a few dollars here and there.

That being said (whew) let me tell you what I created with this week's grab of tomatoes...

I took a Jiffy pizza crust (yes they still make them, they're only about $1 at Kroger), two medium tomatoes, shredded mozzarella cheese, a whole mess of dried herbs left in the cabinet thanks to Margaret.

This was the result....


 
SO basically Italian heaven made in America.
 
#macyprobs

 

Comments

Popular Posts