Read it: On the Edge of Decision

On the Edge of Decision by Samuel A. DeBord
 
"What are missionaries? They are ordinary men and women with extraordinary faith in God."

    My grandfather gave me this book at the beginning of the summer. It came from his bookshelf and as he was cleaning out his house decided I needed it more than him. I'm glad he came to that conclusion. I enjoyed this book thoroughly.
 
Yesu Kwetu ni Rafiki
What a Friend We Have in Jesus
 
   The non-fiction account of Baptist missionaries in East Africa was published in 1964. Wow and did it smell like 1964 (the book and its pages I mean)! It is not a very long book; about 120 pages. DeBord talks about several different American missionaries (most of them families). Some of these missionaries created schools for children or seminaries, most preached any where they could find space for the locals to come and listen.

"The greatest price for the souls of the people of East Africa was paid over 1900 years ago in Calvary"
 
   One story told of a doctor who built a hospital for the locals, it took a few years to finish. When the hospital was finally finished, the locals had a hard time believing the hospital was in fact for their use. This man and his wife worked as a doctor/nurse team to cure (to the best of their ability) sickness of the body and soul. Most of their patients stayed long after their illnesses had been healed so they could have time to learn about the Lord before returning home.

I loved turning the pages of this book. They have been yellowed and had coffee spilt on them (multiple times)- it just reminded me of my granddad.

The pictures of this book were wonderful to look at, inspect. I adore black and white photos, plus the fashion choices were entertaining.  
 
 
  #macyprobs


Comments

Popular Posts