My Favorite: Footloose

   I thought this was a party? Let's dance!
  
   One of my favorite movies of all time, has to be Footloose. I'm talking about the original, 1984, Kevin Bacon Footloose. Not the most recent version (which in my opinion was crap--sorry) I remember the first time I saw Footloose, I was about 15 and I had picked up the DVD at Target it was only $5 or something. It was during the summer and I had nothing else to do, so I sat home and watched the whole thing. Then I watched it again. The movie to me just seemed to capture so many teenage emotions that not many other movies did. It had young love. A man fighting for what he believed in. A woman trying to break loose of her parents and become her own person.
   I watched the movie before I was a Christian. If you haven't seen the film, Ariel the daughter of the town's preacher is a rebel. Kevin Bacon aka Ren has just moved to this small town with his mother. Ariel's father has helped set a ban on dancing, music and anything else that could potentially help the youth stray from God. Of course being from a big city Ren loves to dance, drink and do all the things that are deemed illegal in this town. Ren and Ariel begin to fall for each other and come up with an idea to host a senior prom. Ren approaches the town council (which of course Ariel's father sits on) and gives them a taste of their own medicine. He quotes the Bible to persuade the council to lift the ban on dancing showing that (used in the correct way) dancing is a form of celebration and worship of God.

    Whether this movie meant to or not, it showed me that the Devil has to power to persuade me into thinking that God's gifts to us could be bad and used for evil.

"And David danced before the LORD with all his might. And David was wearing a linen ephod."
2 Samuel 6:14
 
"Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and lyre!"
Psalm 149:3
 
"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance."
Ecclesiastes 3:1-4


There is a time to dance.

#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts