A Book a Friend Recommended: Boys in the Boat

cover for the audio version


Boys in the Boat
by Daniel James Brown
 
This book was recommended to me by my good friend, Ben. He had read it over Christmas break and kept raving about it until I caved and read it myself. I admit, Ben was right. This book was great. I have never been a huge sports book fan, but this one is also about the 9 men that sit in the boat. You become attached and fell in love with all 9 of these men along with their coaches and mentors. The book primarily follows the story of Joe Rantz. All of these men did not have anything given to them. They all worked for every single penny, their education and ultimately their gold medal (spoiler alert).
 
I was a coxswain in high school. I am constantly trying to explain the meaning and importance of rowing in my life. I was amazed that one book that consists of about 300 pages expressed all the life lessons, heartaches and joys that I experienced as a member of a crew. I recommend this memoir to anyone: a rower, a sports fan, or someone who just wants to enjoy a story of American hard work and pride.
 
I have found online rumors of a movie in the works... you better believe that I will be the first in line!!
 
 
 
 
 
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts