6 Things You May Forget to Bring to College

I just finished my junior year at Mississippi State University and this past weekend my sister graduated from high school. A lot of people of been asking me questions like what have you learned from college, what did you wish you knew before you left home, etc. So I have complied a list of some things that may not be listed on your school's 'official dorm packing list'...

  1. A good, thick Dictionary & Thesaurus - surprise, surprise. you go to college to LEARN. I remember sitting through some of my freshman level English courses, staying up trying to crank out A+ papers. Your brain hurts. You need sleep but you just can't think of a good alternative for 'said'...whip out your Thesaurus and watch the energy pump back as all the cuties in the library want to know the cool cat that owns his own Dictionary & Thesaurus.
  2. Dish soap- I lived in a dorm my freshman year and the past two years I have lived in my sorority house. Needless to say, there was not a dishwasher to stick my mugs or cereal bowls in... this is where your dish soap comes in handy. Sure, you may think just water will do the trick... just wait until it's midterms and your coffee mug has piled up half a semester worth of coffee sludge. Sludge. Save you, your health and your study group.
  3. Memory box- College goes by so fast. I probably sound like an old lady that sits on her front porch and walks her cats on a leash, but it's true! One minute you're moving into your freshman dorm, the next you're comparing whether grad school or work is the right choice (Can anyone answer that for me btw). Cherish every moment of it. Buy a cheap box: plastic, paper, old shoe box whatever and stow away any tickets, photos, flyers, letters, etc. Every now and then I pull out the box I started as a freshman, it's sweet to think how far you've come and how your 'acquaintances' are now your best friends.
  4. Camera- This ties into the whole memory box thing, but bring an actual real clicky clicky camera. I know that all phones have a camera now a days, but let's face it the quality sometimes sucks. Take pictures of friends, family, buildings, that cute professor... then print them out, place them in frames or on your fridge, share the stories. Alright maybe not the cute professor.
  5. Poo-Poo Spray- I have lived in housing with community bathrooms for three years now. I can not stress this enough--- BRING SOME POO-POO SPRAY! Everyone goes, do not be ashamed, but don't flaunt it at the same time. Be considerate of others. I know this is shocking, but some people may not want to smell your business hours after it happened when they're trying to get ready for date night. Just spray a little before or after you go, so it was like you were never there. It doesn't have to be fancy spray. If you live with a bunch of people split the price of Febreeze and place it in the bathroom so it's handy when nature calls.  
  6. Open Heart and Mind- I feel like so many people try to tell you about college, what to expect, how you'll change, what you'll encounter, and so fourth. Honestly everyone's college experience is different. You ultimately decide. I highly recommend expanding your circle of friends, find people who are different than you are. You don't have to be best friends and plan to be in each other's weddings but make connections and learn from others. Do not judge others too quickly. You will meet people who are different so take it as a learning opportunity. Be the person who changes another's mind about the stereotype you may fit in.

#macyprobs

Comments

  1. I would not have thought of poo poo spray! That's smart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A girl living in my dorm freshman year always carried a bottle of glade spray with her shampoo and body wash. I used to think she was crazy but I completely understand now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts