Posture of Humble Faith

What does that mean posture of humble faith?

It may be difficult to pin down a way to define it. Posture. Humble. Faith. Three words that Christians use quite regularly. (okay, maybe not posture) To be humble and to have faith may mean something different to you than it does to me.

I'm positive that you have heard of the story of Cain and Abel. The sons of Adam and Eve. Even if you're not a Christian, I bet you know the premise of the story. Two sons. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Both bring a gift to God. God shows favor to Abel. Cain gets jealous. Cain kills Abel.

What if I told you this:
        You and I are more like Cain than we'd like to believe.

I know, I'm sure you're saying to yourself: No I'm not. I haven't killed anyone. 

Let's take a look at Genesis 4:2-8
(2) Now Abel was a keeper of sheep, and Cain a worker of the ground. (3) In the course of time Cain brought to the LORD an offering of the fruit of the ground, (4) and Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat portions. And the LORD had regard for Abel and his offering, (5) but for Cain and his offering he had no regard. So Cain was very angry, and his face fell. (6) The LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry. and why has your face fallen? (7) If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at your door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it."  (8) Cain spoke to Abel his brother. And when they were in the field, Cain rose up against his brother Abel and killed him.

You still are probably confused. Why am I like Cain, again?
Cain was too proud in his work. He became self-righteous. He found something besides the Lord to give him life and pleasure. When his brother Abel was given favor for a work that was considered lower (Sheep herding was considered a lowly occupation compared to farming), he was immediately filled with anger, jealously, hate, evil thoughts. He was immediately filled with sin. Cain feels like he was also cheated as if God did not even look twice at his gift. It's as if you studied for weeks, long hard hours for an exam yet your classmate who only studied a few hours received the same or better grade. It's as if you spent $100 on your mother's Christmas present and she liked your brother's homemade gift better. 
Cain has two choices. 1. come to God and repent 2. Kill Abel (okay obviously there are a few more options for Cain, but for my illustration bear with me)
You could either 1. come to God and repent 2. Gossip about your classmate and how they 'cheated' on the exam
You could either 1. come to God and repent 2. Break your brother's homemade gift
The second option always end up with killing of some sort. Killing of the reputation of your classmate, maybe she just studies more effectively than you. Killing of the relationship and trust between you and your family, maybe your brother has a hand for wood carving and your mother loves handmade clocks. 
Now do you see how you are similar to Cain? Think about how you view others. Are they a threat to your success? Are they a joy to be around? What are the things you just can't stand to fail at? For me, I hate to not be found funny or pleasurable to be around. I want to be popular and well-liked. I feel uncomfortable and almost 'itchy' when I'm alone for a long time. (sorry, itchy was the only word I could find to describe the feeling-- I can't stand to be alone for long periods of time!) If there is someone who doesn't think I'm funny, I usually start to avoid them (sometimes unconiously) and only stick to people for think I'm cool and show that they enjoy being around me. My reputation. My popularity. My sense of humor. My likeability. It all sometimes wraps up and overcomes me, blinding me from God looking unfavorably on me. I become like Cain and I look at others who I deem not as likeable and not as funny- I see good things happening to them and I envy them. 

sin is crouching at your door
What a powerful word. crouching. It really does embody Satan, he does not confidently take you. He sits and waits until you are not looking towards Christ. 

So what area of your life, if lost tomorrow, would make you envious? Hateful towards God? Want to seek and destory those who had that trait? 
Is it your good grades? your looks? your boyfriend or girlfriend? athletic ability? 
I hope by now you realize you are in fact a modern day Cain. So am I, dear friend. There is hope. Our hope is Christ Jesus. We are fallen. We are driven by our selfish ways.
Run to Him. 
Cling to Him.
Repent. Ask for Forgiveness.
Whether it's the first time or the 1,000th time, it is sweet to sit in the hands of God. 

We will fail. We are only humans. But because of the Blood of Jesus on that dear cross-- it's okay to not be the best. it's okay to not be the smartest. it's okay to not be prettiest. it's okay to not be the most popular girl in the room. it's okay if you're not the best basketball player. 

Because of the Blood of Jesus, it's okay to be a 
FAILURE.

This post was based off of Brian Sorgenfrei's RUF sermon. 
To listen to more RUF sermons, go to itunes and search: RUF at Mississippi State.
The Bible verses were taken from a ESV translation.
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts