A Day in Normandy: Omaha Beach & La Pointe du Hoc

After visiting my French family in Lille, I took the train to Caen which is one of the biggest towns in the Normandy region. I decided to see the beaches of Normandy, Omaha Beach and Point du Hoc. Again, I'm already in France why not experience it all.
I had two firsts in Normandy: my first AirBnB experience (which was really really nice! If you are looking for a nice cozy place to stay in Caen let me know) and my first driving experience in France.
So I arrived right around dinner time in Caen, by the time I checked into my AirBnB I was starving and wanted to explore!




The next morning I rented a car using drivy.com and headed off to Omaha Beach, the American Cemetery and Point du Hoc. The drive was about 45 minutes. It was both scary and awesome to drive again. I really enjoy driving and just jamming with a good CD. Once I got off the highway, I got see to the quaintest of Normandy. Little streets. Little houses. Cows. It was like being in Mississippi but 10x better. I even drove past a cidery... so in my opinion Heaven on Earth. I adore a good cider.

I first drove to the American Cemetery for all of the fallen from D-Day. When I drove up to the site, I was amazed how simple and clean the site was. There is a little museum that takes about 45 minutes to go through. It was a really nice history refresher (it's been about 3 years since I took a history course) and tribute. Once you leave the museum, you walk for about a quarter of a mile and it's just like suddenly you see the cemetery. It was one of the most powerful things I've ever seen. You walk among all of these young men who fought and died for not only America but for the whole free world. It was awesome. I don't think I can even describe the experience.


After walking around the cemetery for some time, I walked down to Omaha Beach. It is one of the priscine beaches I've ever walked on. There were few others on the beach (but the fact that I was there in November probably had something to with it). It was just me and the sea. 


Next, I went to Point du Hoc, which was another American landing point on D-Day. Again I was met with beautiful scenery and a feeling of pride for my country. 




God Bless those who lost their lives on D-Day.
God Bless those who have fought for our country in WWII.
God Bless those who are currently serving for our country.
God Bless America. 
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts