Mitt Talks to Mississippi

January 28, 2015 will be one of those days I will always remember. It was the night I heard Mitt Romney speak. The student government announced that Gov. Romney would be visiting campus before Christmas break, so for a month I've been waiting for this night. On the day the tickets were available, I got up at 6 am to get in line (I was 3rd in line). I thought about what I was going to wear for days. I wore a maroon top (for school spirit) and straight cut black slacks. I felt professional and ready to meet an important political figure. Gov. Romney spoke in a the theatre on campus on the ground floor of Lee Hall. It only sat 1,000 people and there was not an empty seat in the place. Some people were even standing in the back!
The woman who introduced Mitt Romney spoke about how the press was wrong, they did not have all the facts straight when they said that Mississippi is the poorest state. Mississippi has one of the highest rates of giving charity in the country. Mississippi's people may earn one of the lowest incomes but it also has one the lowest costs of living in the country. And most importantly, Mississippi can be argued that she is the most religious state in the union.
He began his speech by talking about how we should enjoy our 4 years in college. How these 4 years would shape our futures, careers and mind.


"The real currency in life is the friends you make and the ones you love."

He admitted that some of the friends that he made in school were the same friends that supported him after his loss in 2012.
He proceeded to talk politics. He said that America is in desperate need of a good strong leadership. He identified three major problems that needed to be fixed in the next term. [Possible hints that he is running again?]
  1. There needs to be  a greater care towards international threats. He brought up President Obama, and believes that Obama is dismissing this very important issue.
  2. Restore opportunity for the middle class. I strongly agree with this. I understand that when I graduate, I may or may not have a job. Isn't that sad, that I go to school for four years, excel, make good grades, network s well as I can, but I may not have a job when I graduate. This is disheartening for those who spend the time and money to get a high education and fuels the dependence on the government.
  3. Let people out of poverty. With greater education and more jobs, then more and more people will be able to escape poverty and live a happy, healthy life.

I was so close, right?
 
Mitt sat for a Q&A session
 
Mitt, you got my vote!
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts