Disconnect Spring 2015

Social media can be so good. It can connect you with friends half way across the world, help you learn a new language, keep up with family you hardly see, share accomplishments and life events. I love social media. I spent  whole year controlling all social media outlets for my sorority. I'm a marketing major- social media has become such a large part of marketing and creating a successful strategy for your company. However, in the last few months I have become aware of my dependence on social media. Always refreshing my twitter feed. Constantly checking uploads on Instagram. I have a constant need to know. I feel like so many college-aged females feel the same way as I do. I want to know how much everyone is studying for the next marketing exam. I want to know who is hanging out with whom. And I absolutely have to keep tabs on every single person who means anything to me. It truly sometimes can be seen as obsessive behavior.

I think that when we use social media it has one of two effects: it can either make you feel better about yourself or you just continue to feel like absolute crap. You know, why do girls (and guys I'm sure) obsess over what others are doing, who they're with, and what they look like?

At first social media feeds our human need and instinct to be with others. Then, we continue to compare and to comb through the lives of others, we become more anxious and increases ones feeling of being inadequate. I have struggled with anxiety and body issues for years. I have been on medication for anxiety since my junior year of high school. No matter how much medication one takes, I can tell you, it is still so difficult to block out all the hateful lies one can tell herself. At times, it is truly crippling. You feel as if you can't do anything right, then you perform poorly on a exam or say something inconsiderate to someone you love. You tell yourself more lies. The hole just keeps getting deeper.

I have decided that this semester I will not allow my hole to get any deeper. My first plan of action is to delete all social media. Delete all apps from my phone. Log out of all websites on my computer. There will be some exceptions: to share any large life events that may occur this semester, to Facebook message with my friends who are studying abroad and to tweet any new #macyprobs blog posts.

Second, I will start taking better care of myself than I have in the past. At my friend Annie's request, I will start flossing DAILY. Exercise. I hope to run in at least one 5k this semester, maybe more- we'll see. Drink Water {leaving soda and alcohol for the weekends}. Eat Well.

Third, I will read more. Fiction. Non-Fiction. I don't care. I have found this 2015 Reading Challenge and I shall complete it! (If you know any good books let me know! I may tweet out asking for book suggestions)

I am currently reading I Am Malala to satisfy the 'a book written by someone under 30' box

Finally, I will stay focused on God. Through Him all things are possible!

 
Stick with me folks, this is going to be a crazy semester!
 Just because I'm not on social media doesn't mean I want to block out the world!
Feel free to text me, e-mail me (macyprobs@gmail.com) or snail mail is always fun too! (PO Box 3710 Mississippi State, MS 39762)
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts