First Week Disconnected: January 13-19

Jan. 13-
 So last night I started an adventure that would shock most college girls. I deleted all my social media and I don't plan to log back in until I finish this semester. I think I expected to wake up this morning refreshed and totally alive, but it was just the opposite. I felt alone and more anxious than ever. I felt like I was missing an important part of me. The whole day I was restless, so I just started my homework.


Jan. 14-
I didn't sleep very well, so I decided to go to the gym this morning. However I left my phone in the locker, but didn't realize it until I was already home. I went to my first class with out it and I found myself searching for something to do with my hands. Everyone else was texting and searching the web before class, but I was just sitting hoping someone would talk to me.
So I have been to all my classes at least once now. Today I went to my Art and Film class. Let me tell you-I am way out of my element. I thought the class would be just watching and analyzing films. Nope. Its about art. Its an art class for art and graphic design majors. I am so screwed. The material is interesting. Everyone in my class is so hipster. The guy I sat next to today is known as the guy who walks around without shoes... his senior thesis is on cups... I'll keep you updated on this friendship, because I am truly enthralled. Isn't he cold? How many types of cups are there and why do we need more? I have a feeling that I have a lot to learn from these people.


Jan. 15-
In the scheme of things, today was a very good day. I don't go back to work for another week so I've been enjoying my free time. Tonight was the first RUF large group of the year. It was great to be reconnected with friends that I hadn't seen since exams started.


Jan 16-
I only have one class on Fridays- organizational communications- it's basically a class on how to be professional. You can't skip class the first month of school (by my standards) so I got up and went to class. My teacher is actually very comical and energetic at 9 am. More so than I was this morning. Today's topic was how to be professional on social media. She opened the floor for discussion I didn't want to be the first one to bash social media so I kept my head down. To my surprise the boy sitting behind me spoke up on how he believed social media destroyed relationships. This is where I chimed in to say that I did away with all social media. To which I received a lot of questions, strange looks and encouragement. I was very encouraged that so many either accepted my view on social media or actually felt the same way I do.
Once class was over, I headed home to Georgia for the long weekend.


Jan. 17-
To be reunited with your dog is so wonderful.
Even though today we were always out doing things around town I kept getting a creeping feeling that I was missing something important. Often I would check my phone to see if anyone had tried to get in touch. No one had called or texted so I couldn't have been missing that much. During the evening news I didn't see a mugshot of anyone I hold dear- so I believe everything is okay.


Jan 18-
Today was my last day at home for a while. It's strange to think you may not see your family until May. We soak up every single moment we have together.


Jan. 19-
So today is the 7th day of not having social media. As I drove back to Mississippi today I couldn't focus. I would start thinking about one thing, but wouldn't allow myself to finish the thought. I kept skipping around on the radio.
I am restless. I desperately need some sort of peace.
I am a part of a prayer group with a bunch of junior girls. Tonight we will be meeting for the first time since Christmas. I am anxious to tell them what I am experiencing. They always understand.




From now on, I will only have monthly disconnected updates.
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts