My favorite things: Extinct?

  At times, I love technology. Other times, I hate what is doing to our society. We are so used to gaining something within a few seconds, that we have forgotten how rewarding hard work actually is. Some of my favorite things on Earth are pictures, books and handwritten cards. In past few weeks it has dawned on me that each of these things will be slowly replaced with technology. I believe that my children may not understand that fuzzy feeling when you open a letter while you're at sleep-away camp or being able to physically turn the pages on a book or flip through album upon album of family photos like I remember doing so at my Nana's house. Some people may be okay with the slow disappearance of such things, I, however, am not.
  Kindles. Crap.
  I adore, love, desire books. I love the feeling of placing a finished book back on the shelf.
  E-mails. Direct messages. Crap.
  How heartfelt is a thank you e-mail? Little to none. Children should learn from an early age to write thank you notes. Handwritten ones. not that typed shit I am sometimes given. A simple note that takes about 10 minutes to write and mail means a whole world of difference.
  iPhones. Facebook Albums. Crap.
  Don't get me wrong. I take pictures on my iPhone and post pictures on facebook. But at the end of the semester, I make a trip to Walmart to get pictures printed and then place them into an album or frame. Doesn't it mean so much more to have a picture of your family vacation in a frame next to your bed compared to some silly Facebook sharing?


Join me in the fight to keep lovely things in the world.
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts