Snow in September: Chamonix & Mont Blanc

Last weekend we had a long weekend with no class on Monday, so I had to take advantage and see something new! Chamonix which is the city at the base of Mont Blanc is only about 2 hours away from Grenoble (4 by train)  so I took advantage to see this famous ski resort in the Fall.

When I got off the train around 5 pm it was already about 45 degrees. quite chilly for my southern soul! The train ride in itself was an adventure. It was winding up into the mountains. The views were awesome! From where I got off the train I could clearly see Mont Blanc and its buddies.


I stayed in a hostel in Chamonix, called Chamonix Lodge. It was great. I stayed in a dorm styled room with 3 other people. Wifi and breakfast was included (sold). For my first hostel experience, I greatly enjoyed it. Nothing bad to say about it. A few other lodgers complained about the distance from the city center. It was only about a 15 minute walk and it was such a gorgeous walk, I didn't mind.

After checking into my room, I freshened up and went out to find some dinner and explore a little bit. I found a great little burger shack and decided to warm up with something greasy.

The next morning, I woke up super early to go to the funicular that runs up to Aiguille du Midi and Mont Blanc. From Aiguille du Midi you can see Mont Blanc so that was enough for me. I don't know if I could have withstood another "ride of death" to higher destination or an extra 40 euros. Thanks for the offer but no thanks. One of the big attractions of Aiguille du Midi is the "step into the void". It's this huge glass box that hangs over the cliff of the mountain that allows you to see everything beneath. It was so awesome, but I didn't get the chance to really enjoy the view since they were trying to get so many people in and out a day. Definitely a cool experience and a must do!



On the way down to Chamonix, you can stop at the mid point between top and the bottom. They have little trails where you can explore and just chill out. It was a really nice day just to sit and enjoy life.


The city of Chamonix was charming as well. Don't plan a trip to this resort unless you plan to spend! It was a tad expensive, even in the off season. However well worth it.






My next adventure is Norway! With a pit stop in Milan along the way.
#frenchmouse
#macyprobs 

Comments

Popular Posts