Career Fair 2014.

Alright so most college students will understand how unnerving career fairs can be. Well Mississippi State's was today. Oh gosh. Oh gosh. Oh gosh. I took the bus halfway to the Hump (our basketball coliseum) then decided to walk to rest of the way. Every step closer to the fair the more nervous I got. I just kept thinking those girls are better dressed than me, I bet they printed their resumes on really expensive paper the kind that's $3 a sheet, oh gosh, do I smell? I put on extra deorant but I bet these employers can just smell nervous bad future employees. 
So FINALLY I got to the career fair, checked in and it happened. Life happened. I'm not sure how long I stood in the atrium just looking like an idiot but it was least 5 minutes. I ran to the bathroom. I pushed myself to the front of the line and into a stall. I wanted to cry. I wanted to throw up. What I really wanted to do was stay in that stall until the locked up the career fair. However I collected myself and attempted to put together some sort of prayer: oh Lord, I truly have no clue what I'm doing right now. You do. You know everything. Calm my mind. Slow my beating heart. Dry my eyes. Give me strength. 
My prayer was more a bunch of random words, but God knew what I meant. He always knows. 
So I walked around the career fair once or maybe twice before I even tried to talk to an employer. Not going to lie. They probably thought I was the most awkward girl they've ever met. I pushed my resume into so many different peoples hands some of them may have students- who knows. 

Well. The last booth I visited was the Peace Corps. I did that on purpose - save the best for last right? I've been wanting to travel abroad and teach English since my freshman year of college. I've researched the Peace Corps backwards and forwards. I began talking to the recruiter. It started out so well. Then the recruiter asked me why I wanted to join the Peace Corps. What happened next I couldn't help: I got bright red, and just started rambling. Teach God's Word. Empower women uh. Make life better. Everyone deserves a good life right?  I want to teach English. If a child knows English his opportunities for the future are multiplied.... I just couldn't stop talking. Oh man. Oh gracious. Macy just stop. Word vomit Macy. MACY! It wasn't until I felt tears coming up that I stopped talking. The poor poor recruiter she handed me a bag and I pushed my resume onto her. I RAN. Okay maybe not full on sprinting but definately moving faster than everyone else. 

So that was my career fair experience. 

#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts