Book Review: Cross-Cultural Connections

Cross- Cultural Connections
by: Duane Elmer
 
At the beginning of the summer I went to RUF Summer Conference (otherwise known as SuCo), I attended a two day seminar taught by Russ Whitfield of Grace Mosaic in Washington DC. The seminar was called "Working Towards a Cross-Cultural Community". I seemed it would be helpful as I prepared myself to go abroad. As Christians, we are called to be disciples to all. Black, White, Americans, Asians, Short, Tall, Fat, Skinny. Humans. Christ did not choose who to love, He just loved all. Plain and Simple. Obviously, I'm not Christ.  I'm nowhere near, eons away from being perfect.
 
I digress.
 
In the seminar, my eyes were opened to how Christ wanted His Church to include all the different peoples. Think about it. If Jesus wanted only his followers to be those of his ethic groups, He would not travel large distances and preach to the masses. He wanted His Church to be cross-cultural. At the end of the seminar, Pastor Whitfield recommended a few different books. This was at the top of his list.
 
This book is GREAT! It isn't geared towards missionaries preparing to travel into the Amazon. It's for people who want to be prepared here in the states or abroad for work, study or mission work for a cross-cultural experience and how to show Christ's love across the nations. It shows you that the American culture is not the only culture and it is not the right culture. Elmer touches on culture shock, how different cultures may address certain values and emotions.
 
This book has been such an eye opener for me. It was prepared me and made me aware of certain cultural differences I don't think I would have even thought of until I landed abroad. I seriously recommend this book for ANYONE. Our world is becoming so integrated with different cultures. This book can help someone going to college, starting a new job, traveling for work, studying for work and obviously missionary work. At the end of each chapter is a few discussion questions. I can't give this book and author enough praise!
 
Book 5 of 10
#macyprobs 

Comments

Popular Posts