Recipe of the Week: Risgrot

Week 1: Risgrot



yes, this is a snapchat and I have no shame

One of my New Year's Resolutions for 2016 was to try one new recipe a week... so here's the first one of fifty-two new yummy recipes of 2016!

So it's no surprise that I fell in love with Norway when I visited in October and with any country comes its food. I actually did not try this dish until December when a Norwegian friend and classmate made it for a Christmas party. I might have snuck second or thirds when no one was looking...

It's a very simple and easy dish to prepare, but be warned it does take about an hour to make.

  • ¾ cup white, medium grain rice
  • 1½ cup water
  • 2½ cups 1% milk
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Cinnamon powder for topping
  • Dried cranberries for topping
  • Butter for topping
Instructions
  1. In a medium size pot, add rice and water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a gentle simmer, cover and leave for 10 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
  2. Add ⅓ of the milk, stir, cover and leave until the consistency thickens. Add a little more milk every time the porridge's consistency thickens - approximately every 5-10 minutes or so. Repeat until all the milk is used, porridge is thick and rice is tender. The entire process should take 45-55 minutes.
  3. Add butter, honey, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and stir well.
  4. Turn the heat off and serve porridge in bowls topped with a small pat of butter (optional), a little cinnamon powder and dried cranberries
I found this recipe on:pickledplum.com
Learn from my mistakes: you HAVE to use medium grain rice not the long grain rice and 1% milk. I used 2% milk (because it's what I had in my fridge). It wasn't the same taste or texture as the risgrot I first tried (it could be because I used the wrong ingredients or because it's the American ingredients). It was still a delicious dish! I did not have any dried fruit like the recipe calls for as topping, but I was just as happy with butter and cinnamon. It would be good for a brunch or for someone who just likes a hearty breakfast. 


Finished product with a little bit of a messy pot (whoops)


Let me know if you try this cozy dish!
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts