Beautiful Bergen

Bergen is the second largest city in Norway it sits on the west side of the country. The best way to travel to Bergen from Oslo is by train. It is a tad pricey, but it is so worth it. I highly recommend upgrading to Comfort class. It is only 90K (so like 10ish dollars). The seats are larger and much comfier but the best part is there is FREE, UNLIMITED COFFEE! Norwegian people drink the most coffee in the world, averaging at 5 cups a day for adults. I also saw children drinking coffee. Needless to say, Norway is my place. The train between Oslo and Bergen is so gorgeous it seems like God created this place and no one has touched it since. It was seriously wonderful, no wonder Norwegians love to be outdoors.






Once in Bergen, I checked into my hostel, freshened up and headed out to explore! Bergen has a large harbor with a fish market on this harbor is also the UNCESO site of Bryggen. Bryggen is an old wharf that was built with only wood. It is wonderful. Today it houses little shops and cafes. Since it is so old and made of wood, over the years it has started to lean a little bit. It's part of the charm of Bergen.


The next morning, I went up the mountain Floyen. I went up in the little train. Once at the top, you could see the whole city and part of the fjord. It was really wonderful and peaceful early in the morning with my coffee of course! After a while I warmed up and decided to hike around the mountain with the paths. It is so Norwegian to be and enjoy nature, so I decided to participate in their culture and I found myself falling even deeper in love with this country.


Fjords of Bergen

My sweet new troll friend

Norway has a certain magic around it

Absolutely wonderful 
  After spending most of the day at Floyen, I hiked down (which took about an hour, it might have been shorter if I hadn't taken so many pictures!). I went to grab some lunch. Norway is very expensive so I decided to find a grocery store and buy some bread, cheese, fruit and sweets from there instead of going out.

The Study Abroad 15 is SO real
I sat on a bench near the harbor to enjoy my typical French lunch with the seagulls and soaking up the sea air. After that I walked around town just without an agenda (I believe that is the best way to travel) stopping to explore and learn. 

Found some traditional Norwegian food at a local food market

Walking amongst the walls of Bryggen

Boats in the harbor

A sweet little park in town, these boys had just finished playing a concert.

Looking at Bryggen from across the harbor

Bergen fish market

A fortress by night, this is one of the buildings that inspired Arendale in Disney's Frozen

#frenchmouse
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts