Read it: Jock of the Bushveld

Jock of the Bushveld
by Sir Percy Fitzpatrick

     Have you ever bought a book and forgotten about it? My father actually bought me this book while he was working in South Africa, I always ask for souvenirs that can be used later. While pondering about what to read next and also looking into my wallet...I re-stumbled upon the true story about Sir Percy Fitzpatrick and his beloved dog, Jock.
    This novel is comparable to America's Tom Sawyer or Great Gatsby. In South Africa it is a classic, there have been multiple films about the book-- including an animated version.
   All in all, I enjoyed the book. Sir Fitzpatrick did a great job describing the scenery of the bushveld along with its peoples: native, European or slaves. At times, I did get a little bored. A man adopts the runt of the litter to aid him in his hunts in the bushveld. I do not hunt, therefore I bet you can foresee where my boredom stemmed from. However if you do like to hunt especially in exotic places or you just like South Africa, I'd recommend it.
 
The poster for the 2011 animated film
 

 
#macyprobs 




Comments

Popular Posts