Christian Pond & Taggart Lake Hikes

Hi everyone,
I really apologize. I have been super busy the past few days ahem... two weeks. So my b. I will really try to block out some of my week to keep you guys informed on what is happening out West.
Again another apology-- I am still using an employee center computer, so no pictures still.

I've done two hikes since I've gotten here. The first one was around Christian Pond. I don't have a car here with me so I had to choose it since the trailhead is so close to the lodge. I wanted to hike to Colter Bay and around it, but there were bear sightings on that trail making the National Park Service close it down (which is alright) I'd rather be safe than sorry. So Christian Pond itself was not super spectacular, but it was a fairly easy hike for me since I was still getting used to the altitude here. I trekked this one alone (which I don't really recommend- but sometimes you just need some nature alone time). I'm not going to lie to you, I was paranoid at every turn. every crackle. every bush twitch. I had my bear spray and every now and again I would just talk to myself--- you gotta make noise to let the bears know you're there. While the pond was not super gorgeous, I saw some elk, got probably too close to a ground squirrel. I was hoping to see some moose, people have told me that the pond is a good spot to see a moose or two... however no moose for me. Some overweight tourists however, yes. It took me about 3 hours to hike around Christian Pond, I did get lost a little and take my sweet time.


A broken egg shell- there's a baby birdy around here somewhere!


Whistle Pig





The second hike I did was with a group of friends from work. Thomas, the rec director, Amanda, my roomie and chef extraordinaire, Becky, assistant in sales and marketing and a girl that just wanted to come named Kelsey. Lemme tell y'all. It is much more enjoyable to hike with others. You share in
God's creation, have some inside jokes and have people to photobomb your otherwise pretty pictures. The trailhead to Taggart Lake was a bit of a drive from the lodge so we all piled into a cart and headed off after work. There was some wandering streams, fallen trees, deep forest- everything you could want. This again is a pretty easy hike, but the lake was MARVELOUS! I could see straight to the bottom it was so clear and tranquil. I didn't want to leave. When we got to the lake, we passed some guys with skis on their backs-- I was jealous 1. that they had skis 2. that they were acclimated enough to hike to where the snow is to actually do some skiing. We saw elk (so many freaking elk), a fox. I swear I saw some fish swimming around in the lake... how awesome is that, if that doesn't make you feel like Pocahontas I don't know what will. *colors of the wind... ahhhhh.... where's my raccoon friend?!*  We unfortunately didn't get to stay and revel in the glory as long as we wanted since the sun was setting and the last thing you want is to be stranded outside, in the dark, in bear country. The hike took us a little less than 3 hours to go all the way around the Lake, I would say that the second half of that hike was really rushed since we were booking it to try to beat the setting sun.







Taggart Lake

If you have any recommended hikes for me either in Grand Tetons or Yellowstone- I'd love to hear them!
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts