Cooking in the Strawberry Patch

Last semester spending in France really allowed me to enjoy food on a whole new level. Enjoy the actual food. Enjoy the people you spend meals with. Enjoy the process of making the meal. And who doesn't love good food?! I have been trying (and most of the time failing) at finding new recipes and cooking up a storm for both myself and my friends or co-workers. Every spring my sorority sells strawberries as a fundraiser. (One of our symbols is a strawberry btw) As a result of the fundraiser I had 3 FLATS of strawberries in my fridge... that's 36 pints! That's a lot of strawberries! So what did I do with all these gorgeous, delicious berries... I'm sharing the links to the recipes I whipped up and my own opinion of these recipes.


Yogurt Parfait- the first thing in the morning after I wake up, I make coffee and grab breakfast. This technically isn't a recipe, but still a way to use strawberries! Cut up those berries, throw in some granola and mix up some yum.

Feta, Spinach, Strawberry, Quinoa Salad- The newest "thing" in food is quinoa power bowls and may I say I'm a fan. Quinoa is such a power food and in the nicest way possible- pretty flavor-less. But flavor-less can be good! That means whatever you mix in with your quinoa can take center stage. I LOVE feta cheese. So I threw together some spinach, feta crumbles, strawberry slices and whole grain quinoa. I recommend dropping some balsamic vinegar and olive oil for a little more flavor and "saladness".

Strawberry Jam- So I had the best idea to try making jam with all these berries. One thing the French love is coffee, bread, and jam for breakfast. People don't think about jam when they think of French food- but dang that country has some great jams (Peach Vanilla? Raspberry Almond? I say no more) My roommate has a crock-pot that I've been trying to utilize. I found and kinda fell in love with the blog: The Crock-Pot Ladies. They have so many great recipes and they're usually super easy. Well, I need to admit- the jam was more difficult than my skill level. I had fun making the jam and it tastes so yummy, but the mess? I'm not sure it was worth it. But now I have 8 mason jars filled with homemade, chemical-free strawberry jam. In other words- enough jam with PB&J for the rest of my undergrad.

Picture and Recipe is from: The Crock-Pot Ladies

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies (Paleo & Gluten-Free)- My roommate has jumped on the Paleo train and thus so have I...somewhat. I have been looking at this recipe for a while, but never got around to making it. Finally, I had an excuse to! I was very happy with all the gooey, chocolatey-ness that resulted. They were pretty prefect with a glass of milk (I can't do the almond/ non-diary milk- I'm not that hard core Paleo) I didn't feel that bad devouring the brownies since they were paleo and gluten-free.
I got the recipe from Bakerita, she has a ton of healthy yummy recipes for people with sweet-tooths like me! I am also using her picture, because my brownies did not look so pretty! I mean they all taste the same, right? No matter how it looks?



Do you have any yummy spring-time strawberry recipes to share?
#macyprobs

Comments

Popular Posts